Friday, September 24, 2010

Spartacus Season One on DVD

There was both good and bad news for fans of Spartacus: Blood and Sand this week.  On Tuesday, the first season DVD set and soundtrack were released.
I've watched the bonus features on the DVD and they're pretty good.  I was hoping for more though.  There is some great behind the scenes footage of Michael Hurst directing an episode.  I haven't had a chance to listen to the audio commentaries yet.  I haven't gotten my copy of the soundtrack yet but Joseph LoDuca has never let me down.  I look forward to it!
Sadly, earlier this week it was reported that Andy Whitfield's cancer had returned.  Season two of the series was delayed so that Whitfield could undergo treatment.  During that time, Starz produced a prequel mini-series which will begin airing in January.  Season two was to go into production shortly when Whitfield's doctors announced he would need more treatment immediately.
Andy Whitfield at Comic-Con 2010

Starz issued a statement wishing Whitfield a speedy recovery and have not yet announced any news about how this will affect season two of the series.  I'm hoping that Whitfield will get better and that season two will go into production next summer.  I wish him all the best!

No comments:

Post a Comment